Query on structural properties

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Fri Dec 18 23:06:34 UTC 2009

Dan's agenda, if I understand it, has been to find correlations between
grammar & culture. Whorf re-heated? I would rather look at it as a
matter of Degree of Grammaticalization, where one could factor it into
two dimensions.

First, as pointed out by Paul, at the frequency distribution level
spoken language is always less grammaticalized than written language.
Two old papers (Keenan/Ochs & T. Bennett 1977; Givon 1979) made this
point. I my own article (also a chapter in OUG 1979), I suggested that
spoken language is more pidgin-like, i.e. less grammaticalized. Since
written language is a superficial artifact piggy-backed on the real
thing, one may say that what riled Dan against Chomskian universals was
really that they have always been based on well-planned (written)
language, and Dan was dealing with a real language.

The other dimension is cross-language typological--qand thus ultimately
diachronic.  Li and Thompson (1976) in a paper on topic-prominent
languages (vs. subject-prominent ones) stumbled into this tho didn't
quite know how to digest it. But what they described was a dimention of
grammaticalization. And they were looking at serial-verb languages,
which (at least at some stage of their diachrony) are notoriously
under-grammaticalized. Indeed, Charles Li was suggesting at the time (in
private comm.) that Chinese was a pidgin language. My own view at the
time (and still now) was that he was looking only at written Chinese,
and that the Spoken language had already gone 2,500 years worth of
granmmaticalization. Still, for each area (functional domain) of
grammar, one could find languages that are under-grammaticalize. But
this simply means that they are at a low point on the diachronic cycle.
And Marianne Mithun (2009 and earlier papers) has recently shown that if
you look very carefully, you can see early stages of grammaticalization
in the intonation packaging (in her case, Iroquois subordinate clauses).
So cross language differences often boil down to where in the
grammaticalization cycle a language--or particular grammar-coded domains
within it--is/are.

Coming back to Dan's cross-cultural obsession, my question to him would
be (well, has been...): Ute is as much the product of a small, intimate,
isolated, stone-age society as Pirha. So how come Ute, compared to his
description of Piraha, is over-grammaticalized to the max? And, how come
within a single Ute domain (passives) I can find at least two successive
grammaticalization cycles--during a period where there was no cultural
change? Could it be that Piraha had undergone a relatively-recent
pidginization cycle prior to meeting Dan? In the Chinese contact area
Charles Li talked about, such pidginization (prior to Archaeic Chinese)
has certainly has certainly been documented.

Merry Christmass to y'all,  TG