Query on structural properties

Östen Dahl oesten at ling.su.se
Sat Dec 19 08:34:10 UTC 2009

Although Tom talks in his posting below about "under-grammaticalizing" in
different domains of a language, it is still worth emphasizing that Pirahã is
not at all pidgin-like. Languages that have "undergone a relatively-recent
pidginization cycle" would be expected to have no or little inflectional
morphology. Pirahã, on the other hand, has a rather complex morphology,
especially with regard to verbs. The lack of grammaticalized subordinate
constructions appears to be a different story. I do not know if there is
evidence for a link to a pidginization cycle for that kind of phenomenon in any
language.

- Östen