long-distance control

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Wed Dec 23 20:27:22 UTC 2009

Dear FunkNetters,

    I am puzzled that no one has questioned the merger of long-distance relations into a single type or a single process, as advocated by Givon and Everett.  I tend to think of pronominal anaphora as the prototypical case of a long-distance discourse process, although devices such as class inclusion ("the bus" referring anaphorically or even cataphorically to "the vehicle) are relevant too.  For sentence-internal long-distance processes, I assume that we are thinking about things like the placement of wh-words at the beginning of English sentences.  If we look at just these two cases, do we really want to say that the two domains/processes are cognitively equivalent?  In the discourse case, the reference is established in mental space and processing involves re-invoking that referent.  In the within-sentence case for English wh placement, processing is radically different.  The referent is unknown.  In fact there is no problem or issue with referent identification.  Instead, we are typically trying to fill verb argument structures that have been morphed around, possibly to serve the interests of focal marking (as opposed to methods such as wh in situ or sentence final question markers etc.).   I see good reasons to link up the discourse anaphoric processes to relativization and complementation, but not to things like wh placement.  If we focus on relativization, is the non-repetition of the head what makes it long-distance?  But the distance in that case is not the same as for wh, right? Perhaps we don't want to talk about long-distance, but just about gaps.  But then does the existence of resumptive pronouns in the relative clause mean that the language is no longer "long distance" for that construction?

Basically, I am not sure that the notion of "long distance" in itself provides any leverage and I am curious whether the real issue with Pirahãn type languages is the non-presence of gaps (whatever those are).

-- Puzzled in Pittsburgh  (Brian MacWhinney)