long-distance control

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Wed Dec 23 22:03:55 UTC 2009

Dan,

    Good reply and clarification.  The idea of focusing on the process of gap filling helps a lot.  Perhaps we could phrase the question this way:  how do people/languages fill gaps?  English speakers tend to fill them from other material inside the sentence.  We could think of languages or people that do this as "word string oriented gap fillers".  Chinese and Pirahã fill gaps not from the word strings that are in their echoic memory, but directly from the mental models they have constructed to support their own discourse or from their interlocutors' discourses.  I think all of us (Givon, Everett, Fauconnier, Simon ...) would agree that recursion preexists language (although HCF apparently do not).  So, the issue seems to be about whether and how a language comes to "download" the natural (probably mammalian) recursive processes utilized by mental models into grammaticalized forms that operate first on word strings and then, only at the second remove, on the mental models.

-- Brian MacWhinney