CFP extended deadline: ESFLCW 09, Cardiff Wales

Lise Fontaine fontainel at Cardiff.ac.uk
Tue Feb 3 08:04:58 UTC 2009

The 21st European Systemic Functional Linguistics Conference and Workshop
8-10 July, 2009
Cardiff, Wales

Submission deadline: February 14 2009

Call for Papers & Workshops

Theme: ‘Choice’

    “The grammar is based on the notion of choice” (Halliday, 1969)

Choice could be considered the most important core concept in Systemic Functional Linguistics. It is perhaps the most controversial or challenging. What do we mean by choice?  Although choice is a central notion in Systemic Functional Linguistics, it is rarely the explicit topic of research.  The goal of ESFLCW09 is to consider the role of ‘choice’ as a core concept in theoretical and applied work.

We strongly encourage paper submissions to ESFLCW09 to address the theme of ‘choice’ in one of the following ways.  Its role in:
* Systemic Functional Linguistic theory.
* Human language production and/or understanding.
* Computational language generation and/or parsing.
* Code-switching and multilingualism - one system or many?
* The practical analysis of the clause, text, and/or discourse.

We would also like to encourage submissions which link SFL with related linguistic theories where choice also plays an important role (for example, other functional approaches, psycholinguistics, cognitive linguistics, etc.).

Papers focussing on other core concepts in SFL will also be accepted.  Research on languages other than English is strongly encouraged.  We also welcome submissions representing work in progress.

Presentations may be organised according to the following strands:

* lexicogrammar
* phonology and intonation
* computational models
* language disorders
* corpus linguistics
* formulaic or mulitword expressions
* language production and understanding
* choice for the analyst
* code switching and multilingualism
* language acquisition
* language evolution
* historical linguistics
* other (please specify)

Plenary Speakers:
* Chris Butler, Swansea University
* Geoff Thompson, University of Liverpool
* Elke Teich, Technische Universität Darmstadt

Submissions

Papers: We invite submission of abstracts of papers for presentation at the conference. Papers directly relevant to the conference theme will be preferred but we will consider other topics within Systemic-Functional Linguistics. Presentations will be 20 minutes long plus 10 minutes for questions.

Workshops: We will be able to hold a small number of 1.5 hour workshops. Workshops will need to be directly relevant to the theme. Please send a description of the workshop.

For each submission, please provide:
* For each author: name, title, affiliation.
* Title of paper.
* Abstract (not more than 300 words).
* The strand or strands appropriate for your submission (if ‘other’, please specify)
* State whether the submission is for a paper or workshop presentation.

Please send abstracts by email to: esflcw at cf.ac.uk

Closing Date: 14 February 2009 (extended deadline)

For more information:  www.cf.ac.uk/encap/esflcw/

Lecturer
Centre for Language and Communication Research
School of English, Communication and Philosophy
Cardiff University/Prifysgol Caerdydd
Humanities Building
Colum Drive
Cardiff CF10 3EU