Michael Noonan

Clements, Joseph Clancy clements at indiana.edu
Thu Feb 26 14:23:31 UTC 2009

I received this from John Peterson of the Vyakaran list. Clancy

Dear colleagues,

It is with a heavy heart that we have to inform you about the sudden and most unexpected death of Professor Michael Noonan.

Mickey (as he was fondly known) wrote extensively on the languages of Nepal, particularly Chantyal and Narphu of the TGTM group, and published numerous articles, grammars, dictionaries, and text-collections. In addition to his invaluable grammatical studies of previously undescribed languages, he conducted broad comparative historical and typological research and was a significant contributor to the literature on functional-typological linguistics. He was also actively involved in editorialship. He was one of the two Managing Editors of Studies in Language and SLCS, the General Editor of Typological Studies in Language, the founder and Associate Editor of Himalayan Linguistics. He was also a member of the Editorial Board of BSSAL and LTBA.

Mickey will be remembered for his deep linguistic analyses, his lasting descriptive works, his constructive and insightful criticism, and his leadership in our shared field.

He will be greatly missed.