linguistic axioms

lesleyne at msu.edu lesleyne at msu.edu
Sun Jan 4 23:24:00 UTC 2009

Paul,

I think that functionalists are prone to this type of debate, if some of our exchanges back in '06 are any guide.  I am glad that Shannon, my friend and former colleague from a very repressive formal department is finding it lively here.  Functionalist departments can also be quite ideologically driven, but are more tolerant of debate, and are less prone to driving out students that raise issues with theoretical orthodoxy.

Diane