axioms

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Mon Jan 5 13:39:44 UTC 2009

Good point. But was he right? The fact that some P. of  Sci. people
agree with him is fine, they are probably confirmed deductivists. But
R.N. Hanson (Patterns of Discovery) surely wouldn't agree, nor would
biologists with some philosophical bent (Mayr, e.g.).  In fact Mayr
would characterize such position as typical of people who take physics,
with it's highly math-dependent structure, as the paradigm for science.
Mayr argued that biology & other biologically-based sciences
(psychology, linguistics), where variation & population curves are the
name of the game, are very different. So there you go. It is not that I
don't appreciate Popper, he was great, but he had his limits too. Best,  TG