Volunteer Position for TTS programmer

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Mon Jul 13 15:08:08 UTC 2009

Position Description:
Project Bow, an independent research project that explores literacy by a
chimpanzee in both Hebrew and English, is looking for an intern with
extensive computer programming experience in the field of text-to-speech
(TTS).

We are currently updating our standards of proof by switching to a
touchscreen computer for Bow to use in typing out his communication. Up to
this point, Bow had simply used laminated sheets with letters on them.
Because Bow points faster than we can see, it is important for the
touchscreen computer to sound out what Bow types in two languages.

Applicants will participate in the development of new protocols and will
do extensive programming to perfect our current TTS program. Because
adjustments will need to be made in accordance with Bow's usage of the
program, interns are also expected to form a working relationship with Bow
and to understand his needs as a TTS user.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Change-Key-Colors-in-RapidQ

Qualifications/Experience:
Applicants should have a degree in computer science, cognitive science or
a related field. Experience in the following programming languages and
programming environments and pre-existing software packages will be
considered a plus: RapidQ, Visual Basic, C++, SQL, Melingo, Nakdan,
Ivonna.

Knowledge of Hebrew as well as English is desired. Natural language
processing experience would be of great help.

An open mind toward non-human communication and the ability to inter-act
productively with other species are required. Specific experience with
chimpanzees is not required, but will be considered a plus.

Applicants should submit:
(a) a letter of application and CV
(b) medical report (ask for the form)
(c) three letters of recommendation on academic and programming ability
(d) three letters of recommendation on good character from landlords,
roommates and/or dormitory personnel.

Salary/funding:
This is a volunteer position, and there is no salary. Room and board
during the internship period will be provided. There is no travel
allowance. The location is extremely secluded. Volunteers must have their
own car.

Support provided for internship/volunteer positions (travel, meals,
lodging):
Each volunteer will have a private bedroom with access to communal
bathrooms and kitchen.

Term of Appointment:
September 15, 2009 through May 31, 2010

Application Deadline:
August 15, 2009

Comments:
In order to be considered the application must be complete on or before
the deadline. However, no matter how early you complete your application,
do not expect to be contacted for an interview until about a week after
the deadline. If you cannot wait that long to hear from us, please do not
apply.

Contact Information:
Aya Katz
P.O. Box 267