topic and focus markers

Frederick J Newmeyer fjn at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 14 19:55:00 UTC 2009

Dear Funknetters,

I am looking for examples of cases where what are conventionally called 'topic markers' or 'focus markers' in a particular language have broadened their functions so that some of the constructions that they are associated with could not reasonably be called the 'topics' or 'focuses' of the sentence.

Thanks in advance. I'll summarize if there appears to be a lot of interest.

--fritz

Frederick J. Newmeyer
Professor Emeritus, University of Washington
Adjunct Professor, University of British Columbia and Simon Fraser University
[for my postal address, please contact me by e-mail]