syntax: functional vs generative

Diane Frances Lesley-Neuman lesleyne at msu.edu
Tue Jun 2 00:00:52 UTC 2009

Shannon,

  There is more of a future in functionalism, although a knowledge of the generativist approach is also important.  Both types have computational linguistic applications, although major programs in computational linguistics, like the University of Texas, have switched over to LFG, at least for their syntax II.  My recommendation would be to be mainly functionalist, but teach generativism as an "additional theory" and ensure skill in basic tree-drawing and issues such as binding, raising, control an and WH-movement.   Functionalist programs are growing.  Mark Baker's Polysynthesis Parameter and Incorporation are good reads even for functionalists interested in minority languages.
  I think that the constructionism offers a more unified approach -to bringing synchronic and diachronic analysis within one framework, and even from the perspective of language acquisition (see Michael Tomasello).  People switch from formal to functional as they evolve, rather than vice-versa.  Gert Booij, the morphologist at Leiden, is making the switch with his "constructional morphology".  Formal linguists interested in diachrony read Tom Givon.  There appear to be good reasons for it.

Formal Programs: MIT, Maryland, Arizona, University of Washington, UCLA, Penn, Georgetown, UMass-Amherst, Cornell, Rutgers, CUNY, UC-San Diego, Ohio State, University of Chicago, UC Santa Cruz

Functionalist Programs: Stanford (but they are eclectic), Berkeley, Santa Barbara, Oregon, Colorado, Rice, SUNY-Buffalo, University of New Mexico, Illinois-Carbondale

the University of Hawaii teaches both.

Of course, there are more departments than these. And departments also collaborate: right now, Buffalo (functionalist) and the University of Rochester (mainly formal) are working together in psycholinguistic experimentation in field linguistics.

You will find people with formal training in functionalist departments, and a few with functionalist training in formal departments, although usually outside of syntax.

University of Texas teaches Chomskyian in syntax I,and LFG in Syntax II.  Urbana Champaign teaches HPSG mainly, and these departments simply see themselves as scientific, although they are formal in spirit and in origin.

However, for people to go to grad school and have reasonable chances, they should be grounded in both frameworks.

Hope this helps.

Diane Lesley-Neuman
Linguistics Program
Wells A-614