a-dancing and a-singing

Andrew Pawley andrew.pawley at anu.edu.au
Sat Jun 6 00:55:24 UTC 2009

Just to add to Suzanne's reply to Brian's query, the frequent use of a-dancin' and -a-singin' constructions in Appalachian English was first described in some detail in Walt Wolfram and Donna Christian's book /Appalachian Speech/ (Arlington: Virginia, Center for Applied Linguistics 1976).  There's a sizeable literature on Appal. English.

It's interesting that "on" figures in another semi-productive construction that expresses progressive action: "be on the N", where N is the nominal use of a verb, as in on the take, on the run,  on the slide/decline/rise, on the burst (in Rugby football, to be bursting through a gap in the defence).  But here "on" normally carries full stress; at least I've not noticed it with a reduced variant.

Cheers

Andy Pawley

---