a-dancing and a-singing

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Sat Jun 6 14:43:51 UTC 2009

Paul,

Is the OED free through the Hunt Library online to those not affiliated?

I was wondering whether it might be a legitimate undertaking to form a
sort of information co-op between those of us on Funknet who have
institutional affiliations -- and hence free access to all sorts of books,
resources and manuscripts -- and those who do not.

In that context, if someone wished to look up a word in the OED, then they
might ask someone who had access to do so. If someone without interlibrary
loan privileges needed to have access to a certain page of a book, then
someone with those privileges might provide a link...

I'm sure this could be done without violating copyright, as it would not
involve copying anything more than a minute portion of the information in
any copyrighted work -- the same amount of information that we are allowed
to quote in our articles without infringing on copyright.

     --Aya