Resources for Independent Scholars

Paul Hopper hopper at cmu.edu
Sat Jun 6 20:24:08 UTC 2009

Aya,

No, these electronic resources are restricted to members of the
university, and a password is necessary.

You bring up a serious problem. I'm not sure the solution you suggest is
feasible. There are potentially hundreds of independent scholars. It would
need a rather large sign-up of volunteers to make sure that individuals
weren't called on more than occasionally. If the resource is already
available electronically, helping out would be a matter of a couple of
clicks, but supplying pages of text would be quite a commitment, involving
a trip to the library to retrieve the book, and then scanning in the
page--if ILL were needed it would be still more complex. Copyright would
be the least of our problems.

Many people in your position are able to get some sort of affiliation with
a local university, say by teaching a course or two as an adjunct. There
may be other ways of getting library privileges. The MLA recognizes a
category of Independent Scholar (they award an annual prize for the best
book by such a person), and I believe they run a newsletter that would
surely have some discussion of this important question.

Does anyone have suggestions? Anyone know how many linguists might be
affected?

- Paul