naming a language

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Wed Mar 18 18:21:03 UTC 2009

"Elfdalian" is clearly the best choice, in my view, primarily because it
is already established in English: For over 2 years, the Wikipedia
article on the language has been called "Elfdalian"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfdalian).

Mikael Parkvall wrote:
> There are plenty of cases where there is a relatively established (in
> the linguistic literature) English term for a language, where later
> publications have opted for a new name, and where I can see no other
> effect than growing confusion.
Language names, like city names, often have connotations. If the
speakers want to get rid of the (perhaps negative) connotations and
promote a new name for their language, that needs to be respected (e.g.
Nuuchahnulth for Nootka; apparently the speakers don't like the
traditional term, although it is much more practical). Similarly, if the
inhabitants of Beijing and Mumbai find it important that their cities
are known by these names in English, rather than by the names Peking and
Bombay, again I feel this needs to be respected.

But abandoning an established name, even if the name is known to
relatively few people, just because of a strange desire to have the
English name correspond as closely as possible to the endonym, strikes
me as showing a certain lack of respect for the language and those that
used the earlier name.

Martin