naming a language

Paul Hopper hopper at cmu.edu
Thu Mar 19 19:06:38 UTC 2009

And (while we're on the subject) the instances in which a British pronunciation spelling gets rephoneticized: The Korean name "Park", for example, pronounced with -r-; South Asian names whose orthographic -u- (phonetic [a] or schwa) is pronounced as [u] ("Moombay" for Mumbay sometimes; "Poonjab" for Punjab is almost universal).

- Paul