naming a language

John Moore moorej at ucsd.edu
Thu Mar 19 19:47:07 UTC 2009

This discussion reminds me of a news story I recently saw.  Academics
often go to pains to avoid ethnic terms that may be offensive, even when
the new terms are not well-known outside academic and politically
informed circles.  This can lead to problems, as in the case of a hate
crime trial in Canada.  The skinhead defendants had been holding up a
sign saying "Honk if you hate Gypsies".  The prosecution used the
alternative term 'Roma'.  The judge threw the case out because evidence
was not presented to show that 'Roma' and 'Gypsies' had the same referent.

John