naming a language

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Thu Mar 19 20:54:34 UTC 2009

Yes, academics often overdo it, but in this case they were right. The
Roma themselves have long rejected the term "gypsy", opting for "Roma"
(or "Sinti" for certain groups), see, e.g.,
http://www.romarights.net/content/about-roma.

It is probably often difficult to distinguish cases where the speakers
want (their language) to be known by a nontraditional name from those
cases where only the linguists/anthropologists are the agents of
(unhelpful) change. But there are also many cases where that is not
difficult at all, and at least in these cases we ought to be able to get
it right.

Martin