Trans.: Re: naming a language

launey at cayenne.ird.fr launey at cayenne.ird.fr
Fri Mar 20 15:55:56 UTC 2009

----- Message transféré de launey at cayenne.ird.fr -----
     Date : Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:07:14 -0300
      De : launey at cayenne.ird.fr
Répondre à : launey at cayenne.ird.fr
  Objet : Re: [FUNKNET] naming a language
       À : funknet at mailman.rice.edu

There is a very strong tendency here in France to pronounce all
foreign names (and especially from countries where a Germanic language
is spoken) in the English way. Thus, Willy Brandt and Willy Stoph (and
other German "Willies") systematically appear on the radio as [wili]
(instead of [vili]), and Peter Handke (and other German Peter's) as
[pitër] (instead of [pe:tër]. Likewise, Dutch citizens named e.g. De
Groot are [dëgrut] instead of [dëxro:t] (or even [dëgro:t], and De
Neef are [dënif] (instead of [dëne:f]). Likewise, Spanish is supposed
to be an exotic language, since the name Miguel is pronounced [migwel]
(instead of [migel]), which is all the more ludicrous since there is in
French the same graphic convention (-gu- in front of e and i to keep
the phonetic value [g], the u having no reading per se).
Michel Launey

Best
Michel Launey

----- Fin du message transféré -----