naming a language

Riddle, Elizabeth M. emriddle at bsu.edu
Mon Mar 23 14:57:08 UTC 2009

As a native (American) English speaker, I have to agree about the connotation of Elfdalian in English.  I had never heard this term before reading the discussion posted here, but the first thing I thought of when seeing it was that it reminded me of  "Elvish," the language of elves.  It's not that English speakers necessarily have a prior association with the name "Elfdalian" itself, but that via folk etymology (even for a linguist), it evokes an association with "elf" and "elves."

It has been really interesting seeing the range of examples discussed.

Elizabeth Riddle