Editorial Continuation at Typological Studies in Language

Paul Peranteau paul at benjamins.com
Mon Mar 23 20:47:49 UTC 2009

John Benjamins Publishing is pleased to announce that Spike Gildea of
the University of Oregon has agreed to succeed Michael Noonan as the
General Editor of Typological Studies in Language.

Mickey served as General Editor of TSL from 1995 until his sudden
death last month. Under his editorship, TSL published 55 volumes
(from 32 to 87 in the series). He was very active as an editor,
serving as co-editor of the Journal Studies in Language, co-editor of
the series Studies in Language Companion Series, and as founding
editor of the journal Himalayan Linguistics. We will really miss him,
both as a colleague and as a friend.

Spike Gildea served as Assistant Editor of TSL from 1995-2009. He
specializes in descriptive and historical linguistics of South
America, especially the Cariban family; his primary interests in
typology are alignment systems, voice, and functional motivations for
the diachronic origins of frequent typological patterns. In addition
to being Assistant Editor under Mickey, he has published in several
TSL volumes, edited TSL volume 43, and is co-editing another TSL
volume due out next year.

Because of the suddenness of Mickey's death, we do not have complete
records of his correspondence regarding ideas or possible submissions
for future TSL volumes. If you were in touch with him regarding a
possible TSL volume, please contact Spike Gildea to be sure we are
aware of your interest.

Paul Peranteau (paul at benjamins.com)
General Manager
John Benjamins Publishing Company