Paper on language evolution in Nature Reviews Genetics

Danielle E. Cyr dcyr at yorku.ca
Fri May 8 23:45:15 UTC 2009

Please don't apologize for sending this most interesting piece of information.
The only problem is that one needs to have a login ID and password to access
the online paper. Is there another way to get it? I can't wait to read what's
under this thrilling title and abstract.

Cheers,
Danielle Cyr

<http://www.nature.com.ezproxy.auckland.ac.nz/nrg/journal/vaop/ncurrent/abs/nrg2560.html#top>
> Abstract
>
> Human languages form a distinct and largely independent class of cultural
> replicators with behaviour and fidelity that can rival that of genes.
> Parallels between biological and linguistic evolution mean that statistical
> methods inspired by phylogenetics and comparative biology are being
> increasingly applied to study language. Phylogenetic trees constructed from
> linguistic elements chart the history of human cultures, and comparative
> studies reveal surprising and general features of how languages evolve,
> including patterns in the rates of evolution of language elements and social
> factors that influence temporal trends of language evolution. For many
> comparative questions of anthropology and human behavioural ecology,
> historical processes estimated from linguistic phylogenies may be more
> relevant than those estimated from genes.
>

> --
> Dr. Andreea S. Calude
> School of Biological Sciences
> Philip Lyle Building, Level 4
> University of Reading
> Reading
> RG6 6BX
> United Kingdom
> --
> acalude at gmail.com
> www.calude.net/andreea/andreea.html

"The only hope we have as human beings is to learn each other's languages.  Only
then can we truly hope to understand one another."

Professor Danielle E. Cyr
Department of French Studies
York University
Toronto, ON, Canada, M3J 1P3