Deixis, Buhler and the Problem of Ambiguity

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Mon May 18 17:11:31 UTC 2009

Tom,

     Yes, this is all quite right.  In his book Infant Speech from
about 1935, Lewis noted that, even in babbling sounds i the 6-9 month
range, there is a tendency for dentals to be associated with attention
to objects.  Roman Jakobson brought a great deal of attention to the
issue of "why mama and papa?" but it seems to me that the issue of
"why da?" is more fundamental.  Whether it is da, there, di, do, or
itt, these early dental syllables have a clear pointing function.  And
Liz Bates picked this up in her 1976 analysis of the association of
pointing with vocalization and looking at the interlocutor.  As Tom
says, you can find plenty of these early deictics in the earliest
CHILDES transcripts.  Moreover, they form one of the most solid bases
for syntactic learning in item-based frames such as "this X" or "that
X" (MacWhinney, 1975).
    However, for me, the most fascinating treatment of this issue
comes from Werner and Kaplan (1964) in their organismic-developmental
account of symbol formation and the growth of language and thought.
Taking a page from Pierce, Buhler, and Vygotsky, they talk about the
mother-child-object triangle.  Perhaps the most fascinating chapter is
the one in which they show how a therapist can reestablish a
schizophrenics contact with reality by resurrecting this triangle.
Very 60s.   Dan is right that Mike Tomasello has taken this analysis
one step further and shown parallels across primates, while
emphasizing the extent to which these activities are even sharper in
humans.  I haven't yet read the Sarah Hrdy work, but it sounds quite
compatible.
     Do children stay at this level of concrete use of deixis?  Of
course not, but certainly it is fully situational, social, and
concrete from the beginning.

--Brian MacWhinney