pitfalls of complexity

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Wed May 20 15:50:38 UTC 2009

Well now, Esa. To take a youthful slogan out of context, not cite the
fuller (some still erroneous, of course) details of the original 1971
paper, not cite the considerable elaborations & corrections in "On
Understanding Grammar" (1979; chs 5,6), not cite the countless following
papers that corrected & elaborated & expanded on the diachronic relation
between morphology & syntax, not only mine but many others', and then to
skip over altogether the recent "The Genesis of Syntactic Complexity"
(2009), is not exactly an edifying way of reviewing the topic. While I
do count Hermann Paul as my all-time guru in linguistics, with all do
respect we do know some things now that the great IE tradition did not.
Not much more, but some. And we do know them because some of them,
particularly H. Paul, pointed the way toward a broader
cross-disciplinary approach to language.  Best,  TG