complexity/referring to WALS chapters

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Wed May 20 16:18:35 UTC 2009

Dear Esa,

Please refer to individual chapters of WALS (World Atlas of Language
Structures), not to WALS as a whole. WALS is an edited volume, not a
monograph, so you cannot attribute claims made in individual chapters to
the whole work. Moreover, it's very important to acknowledge the
contributions of individual authors.

In your complexity paper, you say

"Notice also that WALS (= Haspelmath et al. 2005) finds it appropriate to
adopt the following position: : “less frequent inflectional methods like
infixation,
tonal affixes, and stem changes [= ablaut] are ignored” (p. 110)"

Instead, you should have said:

"Notice also that Dryer (2005) finds it appropriate to adopt the
following position: ..."

referring to Dryer 2005 (Prefixing vs. Suffixing in Inflectional
Morphology, ch. 26 of WALS).

Sorry for insisting on this, but it's very important for large-scale
collaborative works that the individual contributions are recognized as
such.

Gretings,
Martin