Call for workshop proposals, InField 2010

Spike Gildea spike at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Sun Sep 20 16:27:37 UTC 2009

**Apologies for Cross-postings**

CALL FOR PROPOSALS

Workshops on Language Documentation, Maintenance, and Revitalization

to be held as part of

InField 2010
Institute on Field Linguistics and Language Documentation

University of Oregon
June 21st – July 2nd, 2010

The Organizing Committee of InField solicits applications for workshops
in language documentation, language maintenance, and/or language
revitalization to be held as part of the second Institute on Field
Linguistics and Language Documentation, at the University of Oregon from
June 22nd to July 2nd, 2010. Our immediate purpose is to offer practical
training to current or potential fieldworkers and speech community
members; we also plan to add to the body of freely available training
materials online.

We particularly seek proposals from current practitioners in this area,
who would like to teach a workshop of two to eight hours in length to an
audience of practicing linguists, graduate students in linguistics,
and/or language activists with an interest in documenting, maintaining,
or revitalizing their particular language of interest. A preliminary
list of desired workshop topics for InField 2010 appears on the next
page (pdf version accessible at
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~spike/Site/InField_2010_files/Call for
proposals, InField 2010.pdf). We solicit proposals for these topics, but
we are also open to additional proposals that bring fresh ideas to
InField, and these delineations of topic are not fixed, e.g., a proposal
could link two or more of these topics into a single workshop.

The proposal should be a maximum of 2 pages in length, and should
include: topic (specify number if already in list; if new, rationale for
including it as part of InField), proposed length (in hours), a brief
description of workshop content (general lesson plan and level, e.g.,
beginning, intermediate, advanced), how it would be taught (balance of
theory, examples, hands-on exercises), and what experience qualifies you
to teach it (we encourage students and language activists to apply).

Workshop instructors will receive reimbursement for travel, room and
board, and a modest honorarium.

Questions should be directed to Spike Gildea <spike at uoregon.edu>;
completed proposals should be submitted to InField 2010
<infield at uoregon.edu>.

Deadline for receipt of proposals: October 12, 2009
Selection of proposals: October 30, 2009

Preliminary Workshop Category / Title Hours
*Plenaries*
*1. Steps in language documentation*: How do I conceptualize a
documentation, revitalization, or maintenance project? 5 hrs
*2. Models of language documentation and revitalization*: What models of
language maintenance and revitalization work? Different models for
different communities; presentations by community members on what they
have done, challenges they have faced, and their successes 10 hrs

*Technology*
*3. Audio recording*: How do I make a good recording? How do I work with
digital media files? Choosing and maintaining equipment; recording
techniques; metadata; practice and analysis of results; editing sound
files; sampling rates; compression; introduction to sound-editing
software 7 hrs
*4. Video recording and editing*. Introduction to video recording and
basics of video editing for fieldwork. 9 hrs
*5. Data Management and Archiving*. Managing, converting, storing, and
manipulating your data; using available archives and creating an
archivable corpus; data accessibility and mobilization. 6 hrs
*6. Principles of database design*: What are the best uses of a
database, and how do I make a good one? Database features; design
considerations; practice in database queries and scripts; exporting and
importing; comparison of database software; creation of databases for
different linguistic purposes. 8 hrs
*7. Aligning text to audio and video using ELAN.* Using ELAN software to
create archival text/audio and text/video alignments; interlinearized
glossing; conceptualizing the structure of a transcript of spoken
language 9 hrs
*8. Toolbox/FLEX*. Multipurpose data management software 6 hrs

*Transcription and Lexicography*
*9. Orthography*: Which orthography should I use? Issues in orthography;
working with communities for developing working orthographies 7 hrs
*10. Lexicography*: How do I make a dictionary? Principles of
lexicography; dictionaries for different purposes; software for
dictionary creation 7 hrs
*11. Transcription Conventions for discourse transcription, intonation.*
8 hrs

*Field Methodologies and Ethics*
*12. Life in the field*: How do I succeed in the field? A
discussion-based workshop on the personal, practical, and social
dimensions of fieldwork. Separate workshops targeted at audiences of
specific levels of experience. 6 hrs
*13. Ethical issues in fieldwork: Case studies.* Eight seminar
presentations on specific ethical concerns and ways to promote the
highest ethical standards in fieldwork. Each should be led by a
different presenter / facilitator, about half scholars and half language
activists. 12 hrs
*14. Field phonetics.* Introduction to recording and digitization,
transcription, and acoustic analysis using Praat software and other
techniques 6 hrs
*15. Ethnobiology.* How does the language community categorize and label
the natural world? Areas of focus: botany and ecosystems, mammals,
reptiles, amphibians, fish and insects 8 hrs
*16. Survey Methods.* How many speakers are there of my language? When
is it used by which groups? 5 hrs

*Language Maintenance and Revitalization*
*17. Introduction to linguistics for language activists.* What can
linguistics teach me to help me maintain/revitalize my language? 10 hrs
*18. Language activism.* What skills do community language activists
need? How can these skills be transferred more widely at the
community/grassroots level? 7 hrs
*19. Language resources and the community.* How can I provide technical
support for my community? How can I develop materials or work with
materials already at hand to best help my community? Creating and using
materials to meet the needs of a unique community; from documentation to
pedagogy and revitalization 4 hrs
*20. Grant writing for language activists and linguists*: How can I
write a successful grant proposal? Identifying appropriate granting
agencies; structuring grant proposals; making a convincing case for
support 10 hrs
*21. Pedagogical Grammars.* How to make grammatical analysis accessible
and useful to language learners and language programs. 10 hrs
*22. Teaching Methods. *A practical approach to the consideration of
models for revitalizing endangered languages. Among models to be
compared are early childhood immersion, master-apprentice, and
classroom-based programs. The ultimate goal is to support enduring
multilingualism. 10 hrs
*23. Classroom Materials and Technology.* In this hands-on course,
students explore ways to make materials for classroom or home use.
Students use latest technologies to create learning materials and
practice using them as both teachers and learners 10 hrs