Peer reviewing

Daniel Everett dlevere at ilstu.edu
Thu Apr 1 15:33:27 UTC 2010

I completely agree with Bill here. And as I said earlier, I have editors take their role seriously and not merely pass along referee reports.

Having reviewed many articles and book ms over the years, I can say that there are always (!) places that the article needs to be *improved*, not merely changed. More than that, in most cases in my experience, including my own submitted pieces, the author almost always needs help, whether famous or beginning.

If two people read your point and don't get it, then *you*, not they, are at fault.

And that doesn't even include points about style and clarity of writing. Science writing is by and large clunky and in need of some aesthetic improvement as well as more substantive advice on content.

Another example I like to give students is this. Back when I was a beginning graduate student in Brazil, I submitted articles to a couple of journals. Both editors, Dell Hymes and David Rood, wrote back polite messages that insinuated that I either wrote terribly or had little to say. The accompanying referee reports made these points even more forcefully.

David (then editor of IJAL) said in his letter that I clearly wasn't very good at writing, but that he was willing to help.

And he did. And a few years later, I was on the Editorial Board of IJAL. I learned a lot about writing from referees. I learned a lot about linguistics from them. And about my own shortcomings.

These are lessons everybody needs and it is wrong to communicate in any way to students that their professors somehow just started generating major articles one day and that when referees disagree, the author is probably right. It is not a matter of the referees being better linguists or writers. It is a matter of their expertise coupled with their viewing of the ms as a stand-alone object, without access to the author's implicit information about what he/she intended to say or knows about the subject that they didn't say.

I also tell students that they should get used to taking exams if they want to be academics because every journal submission entails a thorough examination by one's peers.

Dan