Peer reviewing

dryer at buffalo.edu dryer at buffalo.edu
Fri Apr 2 23:20:15 UTC 2010

One point that I think is worth mentioning that has not been made
explicitly in this discussion (although I may have overlooked it) is that
the process of peer review is taken far more seriously for journals than it
is for edited volumes.  There is usually a far higher chance of rejection
and often the reviews are more helpful.  And this is the reason why journal
publications tend in some sense to be worth more than chapters in edited
volumes and why they are justifiably treated as worth more in tenure and
promotion decisions.

While I believe that the future lies in online journals, my worry is that
the peer review process will never be taken as seriously as it is for
printed journals.  There is something of a Catch-22 here.  While on the one
hand the availability of electronic publishing renders the cost of
publishers as "middle-men" unnecessary, the very fact that there are
companies making money that they will not make if they do not provide a
good product means that it is almost inevitable that the peer review
process for printed journals will always be taken more seriously than for
online journals.

Matthew