etc.

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Thu Apr 8 21:48:35 UTC 2010

Dear FUNK people,

I have been following the recent exchange with some interest. There seem
to be a number of constituencies here, whose interests do not always
coincide. We have first our young generation, struggling to get a
tenure-track position and then secure a lifetime license to practice
with impunity. We then have the universities, with their departmental
search committees, deans and their advisory committees, provosts and
theirs--all anxious to follow clear criteria for evaluating candidates.
We then have the old professional alpha males, determined to keep their
control of the process via journals, refereeing and resounding academic
posts. And we have, lastly, the perennial orphan, the one that tends to
fall between the cracks--the interest of advancing our lurching
discipline toward some semblance of a real science--of human language,
culture, society, mind and brain.

The old establishment bulls and the universities have always co-existed
in close symbiosis, sharing their preference for ranked journals,
exhaustive refereeing, downgrading edited collections and the
quantification of quality judgements. In this, they have striven to
perpetuate the pretense that, somehow, quality emerges--Deus ex
machina--out of rigid criteria and rigorous quantification. Here I
thought my own life experience may be of some value. I have always found
the editorial review process of journals a closed door for my work. In
this I am in full sympathy with Martin Haspelmath's original note--by
the time you are finished revising to the referees' specs, it is their
work, not yours. As far as I could determine, the editorial review
process enshrined the gate-keepers, those in charge of conserving the
status quo and slapping down the upstarts who came out of nowhere. The
typical referee's world-view has always seemed narrow, defensive,
preservationist and process-oriented. They seemed to champions playing
the by the rules as a core value. And their view of the coming
generation appeared to be: Slow down, tread with caution, let us squeeze
the creative marrow out of you till you produce tiny square pegs that
fit our tiny square holes. I might as well confess--the very few journal
articles I did publish were let into the inner sanctum by editors who
bent the rules for me, who brazenly bypassed their own reviewers,
editors who just happened to consider my perspective worthwhile. They
are long gone now, so I hope they will forgive me--from whatever
elevated perch they may occupy now--for revealing their unprincipled
violations of the established canons of refereed professionalism.

I might as well say something about the much-maligned edited
collections. In the early 1970's, Charles Li organized three consecutive
symposia, which came out in three successive edited--
brazenly-unrefereed --volumes: "Word-Order and Word-Order Change"
(1975), "Subject and Topic" (1976), and "Mechanism for Syntactic Change"
(1977). As far as I can see, if these three unrefereed volumes had not
appeared, the subsequent rise of the
functionalist-typological-diachronic-acquisitional ground-swell we have
all been part of would have never taken place. Carol Justus'
functionalist-typological-diachronic LSA Summer in Oswego (1976) was a
direct outcome of the Charles Li symposia. The TSL edited--and proudly
unrefereed--series was a direct, explicit continuation of Charles Li's
three volumes, beginning with Hopper (ed. 1982) "Tense and Aspect" and
counting ca. 90-odd volumes now. The transformation of Studies in
Language into ?our' journal was a direct outcome of the three moves
noted above. This transformation was done in collusion with a visionary
editor--Jon Verhaar, RIP--who decided to flaunt the rules, and damn the
torpedoes. So when someone tells you that ?unrefereed' volumes do not
count as much as ranked, strictly-refereed journals, perhaps you should
ask yourselves, and them: Who are the rankers? Who are the referees? And
what is their underlying interest, conscious or not, in this convoluted
enterprise?

We can steer our younger generation into safe, conservative,
slow-and-sluggish careers designed to preserve the prevailing
disciplinary order, and to embellish the current paradigms with
unthreateningly-small increments. This is certainly one way careers and
status are constructed. If it were up to me, tho, I would caution our
y'all as follows: Those authoritative referees are after you hide. They
want to chop your ideas down to their size and in the process diminish
them--and you. They want to squeeze you into their mould, so that you
may emerge as carbon copies of them. So that whatever juice of
adventure, discovery and innovation flows in your veins would be curdled
and denatured and made palatable--to them. So that you may gain the
whole world but lose your soul.

This is, lastly, not only about your nascent careers. It is also about
the future of linguistics as a credible field of inquiry. That future is
in your hands. It is up to you to move this contentious would-be science
off the dime, so that we may all quit our perennial regurgitation of old
pablums and move on.

Y'all be good, TG