peer reviewing

Keith Johnson keithjohnson at berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 16 05:44:01 UTC 2010

When it comes to "scientific proof", maybe the best approach is to
say that a result is scientifically proven when the scientific
community becomes convinced of it.  No one person gets to declare a
finding proven because we humans too easily convince ourselves of all
sorts of crazy ideas.  So, convincing reviewers seems to me to be a
good first step in the process of scientific proof.  Of course,
reviewers are human too and can be lazy, or distracted, or small-
minded.  Fortunately there is more than one journal.

On revise and resubmit.  When I'm reviewing I think of revise and
resubmit like this:

minor revision: "Okay, I think I get it, and I'm convinced you are on
to something, but I think if you want the average reader (who isn't
going to work as hard as me) to be convinced you should make a few
changes."

major revision: "I can see how this may well be right, but you've
left out some crucial details or logical steps, and I need to see the
whole story to be convinced."

I don't get as much out of suggestions that have to do with making a
paper more artful, but I do very much appreciate comments that help
me make a better case.

respectfully submitted,

Keith Johnson