peer reviewing

Lise Menn Lise.Menn at Colorado.EDU
Fri Apr 16 17:58:02 UTC 2010

Aya - yes, of course. Single observations matter - if something
happened, it happened, and it's counter-evidence to any theory that
says it could not possibly have happened. It may be possible to show
that it's not relevant to that theory, but it may also be an entering
wedge - similar observations may come along.
	Lise

On Apr 16, 2010, at 11:52 AM, A. Katz wrote:

> Dan,
>
> Thanks for recommending Keith's book. I would very much like to read
> it. I'll sse if I can't get access to a copy.
>
> Besides quantitative methods of verifying something to be true, I
> wonder if there might not be also valid qualitative tests.
>
> I'm not just talking about a single counter-example falsifying a
> hypothesis. I'm also thinking in terms of positive proof. I think
> that when the probability that something could happen entirely by
> chance is low, then even a single occurrence of it may be ascribed
> probative significance.
>
>   --Aya
>
> http://hubpages.com/profile/Aya+Katz
>
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Daniel Everett wrote:
>
>> While on the subject of scientific 'proof', one of the best guides
>> I know of for infusing linguistics with more scientific rigor is
>> Keith's own 2008 book, Quantitative Methods in Linguistics.
>> Everyone reading this list should own a copy.
>>
>> Dan
>>

>> On 16 Apr 2010, at 01:44, Keith Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> When it comes to "scientific proof", maybe the best approach is to
>>> say that a result is scientifically proven when the scientific
>>> community becomes convinced of it.  No one person gets to declare
>>> a finding proven because we humans too easily convince ourselves
>>> of all sorts of crazy ideas.  So, convincing reviewers seems to me
>>> to be a good first step in the process of scientific proof.  Of
>>> course, reviewers are human too and can be lazy, or distracted, or
>>> small-minded.  Fortunately there is more than one journal.
>>>
>>> On revise and resubmit.  When I'm reviewing I think of revise and
>>> resubmit like this:
>>>
>>> minor revision: "Okay, I think I get it, and I'm convinced you are
>>> on to something, but I think if you want the average reader (who
>>> isn't going to work as hard as me) to be convinced you should make
>>> a few changes."
>>>
>>> major revision: "I can see how this may well be right, but you've
>>> left out some crucial details or logical steps, and I need to see
>>> the whole story to be convinced."
>>>
>>> I don't get as much out of suggestions that have to do with making
>>> a paper more artful, but I do very much appreciate comments that
>>> help me make a better case.
>>>
>>> respectfully submitted,
>>>
>>> Keith Johnson

Lise Menn                      Home Office: 303-444-4274
1625 Mariposa Ave	Fax: 303-413-0017
Boulder CO 80302
http://spot.colorado.edu/~menn/index.html

Professor Emerita of Linguistics
Fellow, Institute of Cognitive Science
University of  Colorado

Secretary, AAAS Section Z [Linguistics]
Fellow, Linguistic Society of America

Campus Mail Address:
UCB 594, Institute for Cognitive Science

Campus Physical Address:
CINC 234
1777 Exposition Ave, Boulder