Fwd: CFP - Symposium on Peer Reviewing

Mark P. Line mark at polymathix.com
Fri Apr 23 18:40:18 UTC 2010

The conference is running under the auspices of the IIIS (International
Institute of Informatics and Systemics). Their gig is postmodernist
systems philosophy and they publish a couple of, umm, peer-reviewed
journals in English and Spanish.

Looks like sort of an anti-establishment thing like LACUS. Maybe it's
still hard to let your hair down as a postmodernist in systems science.

So I think the short answer is that this conference is legitimate enough,
but probably only within the postmodernist paradigm.

-- Mark

Mark P. Line

A. Katz wrote:
> I got that too. Did everybody on Funknet receive an invitation?
>
> Who are the organizers? Is this a legitimate conference?
>

>     --Aya
>
> http://www.well.com/user/amnfn/
>
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Shanley Allen wrote:
>
>> Given recent discussion on this board, I thought this conference
>> announcement would be of interest.
>> Shanley.
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: "ISPR 2010" <ispr at mail.sysconfer.org>
>>> Date: April 23, 2010 3:46:35 AM EDT
>>> Subject: CFP - Symposium on Peer Reviewing
>>>
>>> Dear Shanley Allen:
>>>
>>> As you know, only 8% members of the Scientific Research Society agreed
>>> that 'peer review works well as it is.' (Chubin and Hackett, 1990;
>>> p.192)
>>>
>>> "A recent U.S. Supreme Court decision and an analysis of the peer
>>> review system substantiate complaints about this fundamental aspect of
>>> scientific research." (Horrobin, 2001)
>>>
>>> Horrobin concludes that peer review "is a non-validated charade whose
>>> processes generate results little better than does chance." (Horrobin,
>>> 2001) This has been statistically proven and reported by an increasing
>>> number of journal editors.
>>>
>>> But, "Peer Review is one of the sacred pillars of the scientific
>>> edifice" (Goodstein, 2000), it is a necessary condition in quality
>>> assurance for Scientific/Engineering publications, and "Peer Review is
>>> central to the organization of modern science
why not apply scientific
> [...]
>>> June 1st, 2010: Camera ready, final version.
>>> ======================================================>>
>>> ISPR 2010 Organizing Committee is planning to include in the symposium
>>> program 1) sessions with formal presentations, and/or 2) informal
>>> conversational sessions, and/or 3) hybrid sessions, which will have
>>> formal presentations first and informal conversations later.
>>>
>>> Submissions for Face-to-Face or for Virtual Participation are both
>>> accepted. Both kinds of submissions will have the same reviewing
>>> process and the accepted papers will be included in the same
>>> proceedings.
>>>
>>> Pre-Conference and Post-conference Virtual sessions (via electronic
>>> forums) will be held for each session included in the conference
>>> program, so that sessions papers can be read before the conference, and
>>> authors presenting at the same session can interact during one week
>>> before and after the conference. Authors can also participate in
>>> peer-to-peer reviewing in virtual sessions.
>>>
>>> All Submitted papers/abstracts will go through three reviewing
>>> processes: (1) double-blind (at least three reviewers), (2) non-blind,
>>> and (3) participative peer reviews. These three kinds of review will
>>> support the selection process of those papers/abstracts that will be
>>> accepted for their presentation at the conference, as well as those to
>>> be selected for their publication in JSCI Journal.
>>>
>>> Authors of accepted papers who registered in the conference can have
>>> access to the evaluations and possible feedback provided by the
>>> reviewers who recommended the acceptance of their papers/abstracts, so
>>> they can accordingly improve the final version of their papers.
>>> Non-registered authors will not have access to the reviews of their
>>> respective submissions.
>>>
>>> Authors of the best 10%-20% of the papers presented at the conference
>>> (included those virtually presented) will be invited to adapt their
>>> papers for their publication in the Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics
>>> and Informatics.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> ISPR 2010 Organizing Committee
>>>
>>> If you wish to be removed from this mailing list, please send an email
>>> to remove at mail.sysconfer.org with REMOVE MLCONFERENCES in the subject
>>> line. Address: Torre Profesional La California, Av. Francisco de
>>> Miranda, Caracas, Venezuela.
>>>
>>> References
>>>
>>> Chubin, D. R. and Hackett E. J., 1990, Peerless Science, Peer Review
>>> and U.S. Science Policy; New York, State University of New York Press.
>>>
>>> Horrobin, D., 2001, "Something Rotten at the Core of Science?" Trends
>>> in Pharmacological Sciences, Vol. 22, No. 2, February 2001. Also at
>>> http://www.whale.to/vaccine/sci.html and
>>> http://post.queensu.ca/~forsdyke/peerrev4.htm (both Web pages were
>>> accessed on February 1, 2010)
>>>
>>> Goodstein, D., 2000, "How Science Works", U.S. Federal Judiciary
>>> Reference Manual on Evidence, pp. 66-72 (referenced in Hoorobin, 2000)

-- Mark

Mark P. Line
Bartlesville, OK