HDLS-9 call for abstracts

High Desert Linguistics Society hdls at unm.edu
Wed Aug 18 21:56:40 UTC 2010

Below is the conference call for HDLS-9 Linguistics
Conference, to be held at University of New Mexico
November 4-6.

*****************

We invite you to submit proposals for 20-minute talks with
5-minute discussion sessions for the Ninth High Desert
Linguistics Society (HDLS) Conference, to be held at
University of New Mexico November 4-6. This year we will
also include a poster session. We especially encourage
talks coming from a cognitive/functional/typological
linguistics perspective.

Papers and posters in the following areas are particularly
welcome:
- Typology, Discourse Analysis, Language Change and
Variation, Evolution of Language, Grammaticization, Sign
Languages, Metaphor and Metonymy, Computational
Linguistics
- Native American Languages, Spanish and Languages of the
American Southwest, Language Revitalization and
Maintenance
- Sociolinguistics, Sociocultural Theory, Bilingualism,
First Language Acquisition, Second Language Acquisition
- If your particular interest is not listed here, feel
free to submit an abstract anyway!

Keynote speakers
Ian Maddieson (University of New Mexico, University of
California, Berkeley)
Spike Gildea (University of Oregon)
Terry Janzen (University of Manitoba)

The deadline for submitting abstracts is Friday, August
27th, 2010.

Abstracts should be sent via email, as an attachment, to
hdls at unm.edu. Please include the title "HDLS-9 abstract"
in the subject line. Include the title "HDLS-9 Poster
Session" in the subject line for abstracts submitted for
the poster session. MS-Word format is preferred; RTF and
PDF formats are accepted. The actual abstract must not
have your name on it- only the title of the project, which
we can then match up with the information you send us in
the email. You may also send hard copies of abstracts
(three copies) to the HDLS address listed at the bottom of
the page.

The e-mail must include the following information:
1. Author's name(s)
2. Author's affiliation(s)
3. Title of the paper or poster
4. E-mail address of the primary author
5. A list of the equipment you will need
6. Whether you will require an official letter of
acceptance

The abstract should be no more than one page in no smaller
than 11-point font. A second page is permitted for
references and data. Only two submissions (for
presentations) per author will be accepted and we will
only consider submissions that conform to the above
guidelines. If your abstract has special fonts or
characters, please send your abstract as a PDF. Please be
advised that shortly after the conference a call for
proceedings will be announced. Poster Session -
Participants will be given a space approximately 6' by 4'
to display their work.

Notification of acceptance will be sent out by September
10th, 2010.

If you have any questions or need for further information
please contact us at hdls at unm.edu with ''HDLS-9
Conference'' in the subject line. The HDLS mailing address
is:

HDLS, Department of Linguistics,
MSC03 2130,
1 University of New Mexico,