Alternative Intro Ling courses

Carol Genetti cgenetti at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Wed Dec 8 21:42:07 UTC 2010

FYI, I am in the process of putting together a textbook introducing the
field from a functional-typological perspective, with primary chapters by
Matthew Gordon (phonetics, phonology), Marianne Mithun (morphology,
language change), myself (intro, word classes, syntax, fieldwork and lg
documentation), Wallace Chafe (discourse, prosody), Michael Israel
(semantics), Mira Ariel (pragmatics), Bernard Comrie (Typology), Alexandra
Aikhenvald (language contact and areal linguistics), Mary Bucholtz
(sociolinguistics), Patricia Clancy (first-language acquisition), and Jan
Frodesen and Dorothy Chun (second-language acquisition). In addition, the
book will contain fourteen  "language profiles", studies of individual
languages from around the globe, each of which provides a basic overview of
the situation and core typological features of the langauge, then focuses
on one particular facet ties into a main chapters. The title will be "How
languages work", and it is slated to be published by Cambridge University
Press, we hope by the end of 2011.

The book teaches core structural linguistics and analysis, but I am hopeful
that there will be enough other materials to make a rich course for
students who will not be continuing in linguistics.

The textbook will have an associated website, with lots of materials, such
as sound files, "how to" sheets, interactive homework sets, PowerPoints,
etc. This has been years in the making, but we are now moving towards
completion. We'll circulate an announcement once it is in press.

Carol Genetti

--On Wednesday, December 08, 2010 3:23 PM -0600 Charles C Rice