Book suggestions

john at research.haifa.ac.il john at research.haifa.ac.il
Fri Dec 24 06:01:44 UTC 2010

Dear Johanna,
Given the situation you've described, it sounds to me like the Finegan and
Rickford book is a great choice (but I would definitely take 'linguistics'
out of the title). This goes back to our 'what is linguistics good for in the
eyes of the general public?' discussion a little while ago. When a society
doesn't take language teaching seriously (as in the US), it becomes much
much tougher to argue for the importance of what we consider to be
real linguistics (be it functional, formal, phonetics, whatever). The
tolerance-oriented approach of sociolinguistics is well-suited to the American
scene
today.
On a negative note, although I haven't read the book, I can say that Fishman
really is completely over the top particularly with regard to his attitude
towards immigrant languages. I personally would spare my students having
to read him. But for sure something about Native American languages would be
great. And if you can find something short and accessible about Louisiana
French, that would be nice too.
Best wishes,
John