Good intro to Articulatory Phonology?

Angus B. Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Fri Dec 24 22:12:21 UTC 2010

On 12/24/2010 2:35 PM, Sherman Wilcox wrote:
> I'm not sure how far you can get teaching articulatory phonology to
> undergrads -- it just requires so much background in phonetics,
> dynamic systems theory, and mathematics.
     Thanks, Sherman!  I don't want to go very far into it - I don't
know most of that stuff yet, and I'm still finding it useful!

     Let me explain a bit.  For phonology, the Yule chapter just seems
like it teaches them a little bit about everything, but it doesn't
actually give the students a chance to practice any skills.  For that
reason, I supplement with sections from the Language Files.  On pages
112-115 of the Language Files, there's a list of phonological processes,
as in the attached page, and I usually go through them to clarify how
all these processes serve to either make the form easier to say or
easier to understand.

     This past semester, when I was going over voiceless stop insertion
(the process that led to the Hampster Dantce), I quickly drew a series
of Articulatory Phonology scores like the ones you see in this book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=9kgGcU09CzcC&lpg=PA185&ots=NHq6CxR6gd&dq=%22articulatory%20phonology%22%20stop%20insertion&pg=PA184#v=onepage&q&f=false
<http://books.google.com/books?id=9kgGcU09CzcC&lpg=PA185&ots=NHq6CxR6gd&dq=%22articulatory%20phonology%22%20stop%20insertion&pg=PA184#v=onepage&q&f=false>

     I think it would be good to talk about dynamic systems and math in
general, and Saint John's is hoping to offer a phonology course some
time soon, but I don't think I need to go into that in the intro course!

     I've been looking online, and have found some good stuff at the
Haskins page and at Goldstein's page:

http://www.haskins.yale.edu/research/gestural.html
http://sail.usc.edu/~lgoldste/ArtPhon/

     I'll go through them and see if there's anything appropriate for
undergrads, and if not, maybe throw something together.  Thanks again!

     BTW, Sherman, I hope your're recovering well!

--
				-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
				grvsmth at panix.com