Book suggestions

Angus B. Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Tue Dec 28 03:08:37 UTC 2010

On 12/27/2010 9:06 PM, Ellen Contini-Morava wrote:
> let me recommend one of my favorite explanations of the phonemic
> principle by the late, great Charles Hockett:  "How to learn
> Martian".  Originally published in /Astounding Science Fiction/, 1955,
> and reprinted in /The View From Language/.Athens, GA:University of
> Georgia Press 1977.

     Thanks!  As is less and less surprising, it's available online:

http://gotomars.free.fr/How_to_Learn_Martian_1955.pdf

     I'll have to try that on some of my students next semester and see
if they can relate to it any better than the account in /Language
Files/.  Of course, maybe it needs to be updated for the /Stargate:
Universe/ generation.  I'm not convinced that "machines" can't do at
least some of the phonemic analysis that Hockett describes.

--
				-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
				grvsmth at panix.com