voice and race recognition

john at research.haifa.ac.il john at research.haifa.ac.il
Tue Dec 28 14:13:50 UTC 2010

I'm pretty familiar with sociolinguistic research on Black English (I was a
student of Bill Labov's) and to my knowledge there have been no
socio/linguistic studies of this issue relating to Black Americans at least. It
is kind of surprising, I know. One thing that is particularly striking is that
there
are many Black Americans (e.g. Barack Obama) whose speech has no grammatical or
phonological characteristics of Black English, who apparently do not even have
a natural register of their speech with such features, who are nevertheless
immediately identifiable as Black to essentially all Americans on the basis of
something in their voice quality. This is not to say that there is something
`racial'/physiological involved, because there are clearly Black Americans who
speak indistinguishably from Whites (I just saw Vanessa Williams on Desperate
Housewives, for example), voice quality and all--but at the same time there is
also something identifiably distinctively Black which is not just grammar and
phonology. Related to this, it seems to be practically impossible for White
Americans to convincingly mimic the speech of Black Americans, at least to the
extent that Black Americans think that they are actually Black on the basis of
their voice--a project I was working on during the 1980s spent a good deal of
time trying to find such White Americans with absolutely no success, I mean not
a single person.
John