voice and race recognition

s.t. bischoff bischoff.st at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 13:49:16 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Here is a list of all, I think, of the references that were sent in response
to my quirry. It does seem that this is an issue mostly addressed in
social-psychology. I also received this great link to a website that some
might find useful in the classroom...thanks to Andrew Koontz-Garboden for
the link. Thanks again.

http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~jbaugh/Site/Linguistic_Profiling.html<http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/%7Ejbaugh/Site/Linguistic_Profiling.html>

English with an Accent : Language, Ideology and Discrimination in the
United States  PAP  Lippi-Green, Rosina Routledge

 Apple, W., Streeter, L.A., & Krauss, R.M. (1979). Effects of pitch and
speech rate on personal attributions. Journal of Personality and Social
Psychology, 37, (5): 715-727.

*John* *Baugh*, *Linguistic* *Profiling*, in Black *Linguistics*: Language,
Society,
and Politics in Africa and the Americas 155-63, 2003

*John Baugh* *Racial Identification by Speech* American Speech - Volume 75,
Number 4, Winter 2000, pp. 362-364

Baugh, John.  1996 "Perceptions within a variable paradigm: Black and white
detection and identification based on speech." In E. Schneider
(ed.),Varieties of English Around the World: Focus on the USA. Philadelphia:
John Benjamins, pp. 169-182.

Berry, D.S. (1992). Vocal types and stereotypes: Joint effects of vocal
attractiveness and vocal maturity on person perception. Journal of Nonverbal
Behavior, 16 (1), 41-54.

Ellen Bouchard Ryan and Howard Giles' classic book _Attitudes towards
language variation_, 1982, Edward Arnold publ., ISBN  0713161957.

Cargile, Aaron Castelan, and Giles, Howard.  (1998). Language attitudes
toward varieties of English: An American-Japanese context.  Journal of
Applied Communication Research. 26 (3, August), 338-356.

Dipboye, R.L., Arvey, R.D., & Terpstra, D.E. (1977). Sex and physical
attractiveness of raters and applicants as determinants of resume
evaluations. Journal of Applied Psychology, 62 (3), 288-294.

Etaugh, C., & Sanders, S. (1974). Evaluation of performance as a function of
status and sex variables. The Journal of Social Psychology, 94, 237-241.

Futoran, G. C. & Wyer, R.S. (1986). The effects of traits and gender
stereotypes on occupational suitability judgments and the recall of
judgment-relevant information. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology,
22, 475-503.

Hopper, Robert.  (1977).  Language attitudes in the employment interview.
Communication Monographs. 44 (4, November), 346-351.

Kang, Okim, and Rubin, Donald L. (2009). Reverse linguistic stereotyping:
Measuring the effect of listener expectations on speech evaluation.  Journal
of Language and Social Psychology. 28 (4), 441-456

 Lawrence, S. G., Stucky, N. P., and Hopper, R.  (1990) The effects of sex
dialects and sex stereotypes on speech evaluations.  Journal of Language and
Social Psychology. 9 (3), 209-22
McConnell-Ginet, S. (1978). Intonation in a man's world. Signs: Women in
Culture and Society, 3 (3), 541-559.

Michael, M. (1989). Attribution and ordinary explanation: Cognitivist
predilections and pragmatist alternatives. New Ideas in Psychology. 7(3):
231-243.

Miller, N., Maruyama, G., Beaber, R.J., & Valone, K. (1976). Speed of speech
and persuasion. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 34, 615-624.

Thomas Purnell, William Idsardi and John Baugh. 1999. "Perceptual and
Phonetic Experiments on American English Dialect Identification. *Journal of
Social Psychology*

Smith, B.L., Brown, B.L., Strong, W.J. & Rencher, A.C. (1975). Effects of
speech rate on personality perception. Language and Speech, 18, 145-152

Street, Richard L., Jr., Mulac, Anthony, and Wiemann, John M. (1989). Speech
evaluation differences as a function of perspective (participant versus
observer) and presentational medium. Human Communication Research. 14 (3,
Spring), 333-363

Street, Richard L., Jr.  (1985). Participant-observer differences in speech
evaluation.  Journal of Language and Social Psychology. 4 (2), 125-130.

Swim, J.K., Aikin, K.J., Hall, W.S., & Hunter, B.A. (1995). Sexism and
racism: Old-fashioned and modern prejudices. Journal of Personality and
Social Psychology, 68 (2), 199-214.

Taylor, S.E. (1981). A categorization approach to stereotyping. In D.L.
Hamilton (Ed.), Cognition Processes in stereotyping and intergroup behavior
(pp. 88-114). Hillsdale, New Jersey: Erlbaum.

Zahn, Christopher J.  (1989). Some data on the predictive validity of the
Speech Evaluation Instrument.  Communication Research Reports. 6 (1, June),
53-58.

Zahn, Christopher J., and Hopper, Robert. (1985) Measuring language
attitudes: The speech evaluation instrument.  Journal of Language and Social
Psychology. 4 (2), 113-123.

Zuckerman, M. & Miyake, K. (1993). The attractive voice: What makes it so?
Journal of Nonverbal Behaviour, 17, (2): 119-135.

Zuckerman, M. & Driver, R.E. (1989). What sounds beautiful is good: The
vocal attractiveness stereotype. Journal of Nonverbal Behaviour, 13 (2):
67-82.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V7R-469PK1T-V&_user=10&_coverDate=12/31/1990&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1590836370&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=c108c40e776cd51821ce07c0f515a021&searchtype=a
International Journal of Intercultural Relations
Volume 14, Issue 3, 1990, Pages 337-353
Effects of accent, ethnicity, and lecture topic on undergraduates'
perceptions of nonnative English-speaking teaching assistants
Donald L. Rubin and Kim A. Smith
Department of Speech Communication The University of Georgia, USA

Gill, M. M.  (1994).  Accents and Stereotypes: Their effect on
perceptions of teachers and lecture comprehension.  Journal of Applied
Communication Research, 22, 348-361.
(
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~db=all~content=a911525513~frm=titlelink<http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content%7Edb=all%7Econtent=a911525513%7Efrm=titlelink>
)

 PhD thesis on '*Voice and Identity*' (2009). The dissertation is stored as
an eDOC under http://deposit.d-nb.de/cgi-bin/dokserv?idn=1000286630 . The
corresponding PDf file is
http://edoc.ub.uni-muenchen.de/11028/1/Paya_Herrero_Begona.pdf