voice and race recognition

john at research.haifa.ac.il john at research.haifa.ac.il
Thu Dec 30 05:32:05 UTC 2010

I'm also not an expert (I did live in Hawaii for a year but a long time
ago) but I think that the first a is a schwa because it's an unstressed
syllable.
I've never heard of raised /ay/ as being a distinctive feature of any AAE
dialect. It isn't just 'Canadian'--aside from Hawaii also Scotland, Martha's
Vineyard, and Philadelphia (and I'm sure other places). The Blacks in
Philadelphia don't raise it at all, only the Whites. I would assume that the
Blacks on Martha's Vineyard raise much less than the Whites (judging from where
they live on the island), but in any case they're an old (at least the 18th
century) non-AAE-speaking community.
John