voice and race recognition

john at research.haifa.ac.il john at research.haifa.ac.il
Thu Dec 30 18:43:39 UTC 2010

I don't know of anything about vowels which is specifically Black in an
American context--to my knowledge there's no difference between
AAVE vowels and a particular southern White dialect (non-rhotic and without /ay/
'monophthongization' before voiced sounds, generally associated with
more coastal dialects and more affluent Whites). Distinctiveness in BEV
is much more associated with morphology and consonants.
John