Primero Hay Que Aprender Espa ñol. Ranhou Zai Xue Zhongwen. - NYTimes.com

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Fri Dec 31 01:17:52 UTC 2010

Tom,

What you say about the critical period is absolutely true if what we are
aiming for is spoken fluency and near native or native speaker ability.

But what about second language acquisition for the purpose of reading
texts? It used to be understood that knowing a few "reading languages" for
purposes of a wider understanding of the world was an important part of
education.

    --Aya