Primero Hay Que Aprender Espa ñol. Ranhou Zai Xue Zhongwen. - NYTimes.com

Eve Sweetser sweetser at berkeley.edu
Fri Dec 31 03:58:47 UTC 2010

There is of course the added practical fact that American college
instruction (including language teaching) is overall pretty good, while
our K-12 system (despite a lot of good and dedicated individual teachers
in there) does not overall hold up well to international comparison.
I've known many college students who had had multiple years of Spanish
or Chinese in K-12 and had almost no control of the language.  And I've
also known many students who quite effectively (though OK, not
"semi-natively") acquired their first second language in college -
including Chinese, Japanese, Arabic or other languages typologically
more distant from Western European grammars.  It'd be great if those
students had gotten more languages earlier (which is also Kristof's
point, I'm sure) - but till they do, the Berkeley campus is still busy
teaching languages, and sending students on years abroad too.