Primero Hay Que Aprender Espa ñol. Ranhou Zai Xue Zhongwen. - NYTimes.com

Richard Hudson dick at ling.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 31 08:39:54 UTC 2010

The UK has recently started language instruction in primary schools, but
it's hit up against a structural problem that is bound to face any
anglophone country: which language? The problem is the transition
problem: each primary school feeds many secondary schools, and vice
versa. The problem doesn't arise if every school teaches the same
language (which, in the UK, would certainly be French), but most
language teachers don't like that idea. But if you offer different
languages, almost inevitably everyone goes back to the beginning when
they move to secondary school. In principle, you could solve the problem
by teaching a range of languages at primary, with the aim of teaching
language awareness - i.e. general principles of how language works - and
that is in fact official UK policy, but it doesn't work because primary
teachers don't know enough linguistics.

Dick (Hudson)

Richard Hudson www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/dick/home.htm