bird song/conversation analysis

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Fri Jun 18 22:07:06 UTC 2010

Sherman,

We may not want to start an ape language experiment with a definition for
language, as clearly language can be used without defining it. And I think
that we are all pretty good at recognizing what it is, intutitively. But
in order to convince others, you need to find out what their definition
is and whether they consistently apply it.

I have a chimp who spells out sentences of his own invention. Of course it
matters to me if someone comes back and says "spelling isn't language." At
that point, I turn around and ask them for their definition of language!

    --Aya Katz

http://hubpages.com/profile/Aya+Katz