bird song/conversation analysis

Emanuel A. Schegloff scheglof at soc.ucla.edu
Sat Jun 19 04:29:05 UTC 2010

Dear Shannon (if I may; we've not met, I think),

 From your colleague's description of his undertaking, and at the risk
of self-promotion, may I suggest the possible relevance of:
Schegloff, Sequence Organization in Interaction: A Primer in
Conversation Analysis I, Cambridge:CUP, 2007.  Tom Givon's
characterization to the contrary notwithstanding ("Orthodox CA, alas,
has always tended to emphasize the sociology of turn-taking and
competition for the floor over the semiotics of collaborative
accretion of information"), this book deals precisely with sequences
of actions in talk-in-interaction, though it offers compact accounts
of turn-taking, repair, etc., for the reader unexposed to the now
substantial literature on these topics.  Whether or not this will be
of use to your colleague will best be assessed, I daresay, by someone
with expertise in the conduct of birds.  If your colleague finds it
of use, he can find all of my papers that might be relevant available
at my web site (see below).

Best wishes,

Manny Schegloff

Emanuel A. Schegloff