Cross-linguistic categories - what are they?

Bill Croft wcroft at unm.edu
Thu Mar 11 17:21:05 UTC 2010

Esa Itkonen's comment (and paper) does not
consider another alternative, namely that the
notion of crosslinguistic formal categories is a
counterproductive fiction (the only options he
offers are "psychologically real entity" and
"useful fiction"). There are a number of
misinterpretations of my position and that of
Haspelmath in Itkonen's paper.

I do not subscribe to a "conventionalist" view of
crosslinguistic formal categories; I argue that
they do not exist at all, not just in Radical
Construction Grammar but in a number of follow-on
papers (Croft 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010). This is
the same position taken by Martin Haspelmath in a
passage from an unpublished 2008 paper cited by
Itkonen: "the adoption of categorial universalism
has actually impeded, not facilitated,
crosslinguistic research".

Itkonen presents some quotations from
Haspelmath's paper and claims they are
contradictory. In fact they present a coherent
and consistent position, one which I also
advocate and is part of the typological method:
crosslinguistic formal linguistic categories are
invalid, but crosslinguistic comparison can be
based on semantic categories which are
crosslinguistically valid - albeit in terms of
fine-grained definitions of situation types, not
broad conceptual categories like "IN
[containment]" (see Croft 2001, chapter 3; Croft
to appear a, b; Croft and Poole 2008:31-33).

I do not reject the distributional method (Croft
2001:45-46; Croft 2010:344-45). It is the only
valid method of formal linguistic analysis, if
done carefully and thoroughly - that is, not
ignoring distributional facts that don't match up
or don't match expectations. I do reject the
opportunistic use of selective distributional
facts to support categories assumed to exist a
priori.

Finally, and most importantly, abandoning
crosslinguistic formal categories allows
typologists to develop valild methods and
concepts to understand crosslinguistic diversity
and universals. The chief method is the semantic
map model, which is basically a multidimensional
generalization of implicational hierarchies. It
has been used productively by many typologists
including Lloyd Anderson, Suzanne Kemmer, Martin
Haspelmath, Leon Stassen, Johan van der Auwera,
Andrej Malchukov, Nikolaus Himmelmann & Eva
Schultze-Berndt, and others to whom I apologize
for not remembering to name here.
Multidimensional scaling can be used in order to
extend the applicability of the semantic map
model to larger and more complex datasets (Croft
and Poole 2008, Croft to appear a, b). MDS has
been used in this way by Stephen Levinson &
Sergio Meira, Michelle Feist and Steven Clancy;
Melissa Bowerman & Asifa Majid have used related
multivariate techniques for the same purposes.
The semantic map model is an empirical inductive
method, but it does not presuppose
crosslinguistic formal categories.

Bill Croft

Croft, William. 2001. Radical Construction
Gammar: syntactic theory in typological
perspective. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

------. 2005. Word classes, parts of speech and
syntactic argumentation [Commentary on Evans and
Osada, Mundari: the myth of a language without
word classes]. Linguistic Typology 9.431-41.

------. 2007. Beyond Aristotle and gradience: a
reply to Aarts. Studies in Language 31.409-30.

------. 2009. Methods for finding language
universals in syntax. Universals of language
today, ed. Sergio Scalise, Elisabetta Magni and
Antonietta Bisetto, 145-64. Berlin: Springer.

------. 2010. Ten unwarranted assumptions in
syntactic argumentation. Language usage and
language structure, ed. Kasper Bøye and Elisabeth
Engberg-Pedersen, 313-50. Berlin: Mouton de
Gruyter.

------. To appear a. Relativity, linguistic
variation and language universals. CogniTextes.

------. To appear b. Exemplar semantics. To
appear in a volume ed. Seana Coulson. Stanford:
Center for the Study of Language and Information.

------ and Keith T. Poole. 2008. Inferring
universals from grammatical variation:
multidimensional scaling for typological
analysis. Theoretical Linguistics 34.1-37.