Articulatory Features as the basis for the crosslinguistic research

Yuri Tambovtsev yutamb at mail.ru
Fri Mar 12 20:29:07 UTC 2010

Dear Funcnet scholars, I do not think that formal universal categories particularly in syntax and semantics are easy to state crosslinguistically. On the contrary, I am sure that the articulatory phonetic features can be easily studied crosslinguistically since these articulatory properties are shared by human languages. Therefore, functioning of phonemic groups in speech sound chains  may give phonetics a more crosslinguistic commonality regarding the kinds of sounds man makes. That is why, there should be more research on phonotactic distributions across languages. However, I do not know many books and articles in this field for the recent years. Looking forward to hearing from you soon to yutamb at mail.ru  Remain yours most crosslinguistically Yuri Tambovtsev, Novosibirsk.