cross-linguistic categorization

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Tue Mar 16 16:07:30 UTC 2010

Brian,

It makes a lot of sense to think of "universals of phonetics", and I think
that none of us doubt that there are such universals and that they are
worth talking about. However, it would seem that phonetics itself is not a
"language universal", as long as articulatory or acoustic issues are
dominant in that field and are used as a way of defining contrasts.

On the other hand, it would be unfortunate to have a theory of language
that did not recognize the correspondences between something like written
English and spoken English. Written English is hardly phonetic - it is not
a transcription phone by phone (or even phoneme by phoneme) of spoken
English -- and yet most of us would agree it's essentially the same
language, modalities aside.

While most Anglophones learn spoken English first and written English
later, it can be done the other way around. Helen Keller learned to spell
English and to communicate via finger spelling long before she learned to
pronounce it. She was already fluent in written English before she
learned how to articulate it. Is there any question that her
finger-spelling English and her spoken English were the same language? If
they were, then there must be some non-physical way to describe the basic
units of English.

Contrast this with native speakers of ASL, who actually have to learn a
completely different language when they learn English.

Best,

    --Aya