Is Peer reviewing so essential?

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Tue Mar 30 12:59:57 UTC 2010

Yuri,

I didn't see the original discussion on peer review, but you bring up an
interesting topic.

In theory, peer review is invaluable as a way to check ourselves and
listen to constructive criticism. The problem is when peer review isn't open to
everyone, and manuscripts that don't come from official channels don't get
reviewed at all. Or the reviewer just says: there are a lot of errors and
sweeping generalizations here, but fails to list any of the errors or the
generalizations so that they can be examined and corrected.

Peer review is ultimately only as good as our peers are. If our peers are
the Inquisition, as Galileo's were, there we're in deep trouble. But I
think Einstein ultimately had some pretty good peers who recognized that
his discoveries were genuine, provable -- and better than their work which
had been funded, while his was not!

Here's to having good peers!

Best,

    --Aya